Matthew 5:1-2 MSG
“When Jesus saw his ministry drawing huge crowds, he CLIMBED a hillside. Those who were apprenticed to him, the COMMITTED, climbed with him. Arriving at a quiet place, he sat down and taught his climbing companions. This is what he said…”
Nobody was as smart and wise as Jesus. That’s why I study his word. Let me unpack this one for you…
1. Jesus was drawing large crowds – and he knew the majority of them were CURIOUS but not SERIOUS
2. In life you have HANGERS ON and the CLINGERS ON. Hangers-on come for benefits, clingers-on come to serve. Discern the difference!
3. Jesus CLIMBED a hillside to eliminate the uncommitted. Once he had eliminated the CROWDS…He started unleashing CLOUD stuff – what we know as THE BEATITUDES.
4. You must always TEST before you TASTE or TRUST
5. Don’t share everything with everybody. Jesus only shared with those “apprenticed” to Him
A few afterthoughts:
~If you want to be part of an inner circle – serve with your HEART not just your HEAD (ideas) and HANDS (skills)
~When you serve always think about what you can GIVE than what you can GET
~Those who CLIMB with you will never let you DOWN